Tuesday, January 6, 2009

BURRIS BURNED!!!



Well, it looks like Burris was not allowed on to the Senate floor to be sworn in with all the other senators. At least he didn't make a big scene (that's always a plus, right?). You can read the full story here.

I'm not going into a long tirade about ethics, proper conduct, the injection of race, or anything else that is seriously irrelevant to the Burris Situation at THIS moment (they certainly were important before today and will be relevant again tomorrow). At this moment, it’s all about the law. As it stands (as far as I know) the Senate has no legal basis or authority to deny Burris the seat formerly held by President-elect Barrack Obama. This move by the Senate was a bold one, but ultimately it may not work (because of a little thing called the law).

So what happens now? Well, I'm reminded of those old Looney Toons cartoons where Bugs Bunny manages to get Daffy Duck's bill blown to the back of his head. The little black duck rearranges his bill back to its proper position and declares, "Of course you know, this means War!" This does indeed mean war. If Burris had the moxy to accept an appointment from a Governor(whom by all accounts, he barely likes)under investigation for corruption concerning that very same appointment, travel all the way to D.C. from Illinois, walk up to the capitol building, and attempt to be sworn in; then I'm sure he's not finished with this issue just yet. Indeed, as I said before, this is a matter of law and this is going to the court (Supreme Court if all bets are sound).

Should Burris fight for his seat? I personally feel that Burris should have never even accepted the appointment and the fact that he did points to a flaw within himself that makes him unfit to take Obama's former Senate seat in this manner(a little extreme and judgmental I know, but that's how I feel and Burris has not done anything to change my disposition about him). Despite my feelings about what Burris should have done, I also want the law to be respected and authority (or lack thereof) to be recognized. Yes, Burris should fight for his seat and obtain a small victory in what I predict to be a long defeat (only so that a precedent will be set and that the boundaries for the Senate concerning this matter are clearly defined).

-Noface

No comments: